*I may be compensated if you purchase through any affiliate links on this site.*
You made the decision that you want to attend a coding bootcamp (and if you haven’t asked yourself these questions FIRST, go back and do so), now you need to decide which coding bootcamp is right for you.
This decision could be easier or more difficult depending on where you live, your work schedule, and your budget. Additionally, you want to make sure that you are going to be supported while you are a student, and after graduation when the time comes to find a job.
Here is a list of questions to ask a coding bootcamp broken down by topic to help start a conversation with admissions counselors. What you personally want out of a coding bootcamp will drive your questions, but I encourage you to ask a lot of them!
General Questions to Ask a Coding Bootcamp
- How long has this institution been in business?
- If the coding bootcamp is tied to a major university: Who is the institution backing this program?
- I did not know that my program was not directly tied to UNC-Chapel Hill until a few months into the program. I found out that the program was actually run by Trilogy Education Services. Ultimately it didn’t make that much difference, but it gave me a different perspective in that they’re running a business here.
- May I sit in on a class before committing to attend?
- May I meet my instructor before committing to attend?
- Do I need to have a specific computer? What do most students use?
Curriculum Questions to Ask a Coding Bootcamp
- What technologies will be covered in the curriculum?
- How long will be spent on each topic?
- If I need help with work outside of class, who will be supporting me?
- Why did you choose to include these technologies in the curriculum?
Financial Questions to Ask a Coding Bootcamp
- Do you offer scholarships?
- Do you offer payment plans or financing?
- Is my cost for attending the program dependent on me finding a job?
- Is my cost for attending the program directly related to my salary of my first job out of the bootcamp?
Career Support Questions to Ask a Coding Bootcamp
- What is the job placement rate for bootcamp graduates?
- What type of support is available to help me find a job post-graduation?
- Do you guarantee that I will find a job post-graduation?
- What type of job should I expect in the area that I live post-graduation?
This list of questions is not exhaustive, but I hope it gives you a good foundation for the type of questions that you’ll need to ask a coding bootcamp.
Additionally, I highly recommend reaching out to someone who is currently enrolled or graduated from the coding bootcamp that you’d like to attend. I have compiled a list of questions to ask them in a separate post that you can find here.
What questions would you add to this list?